Saturday 28 April 2012

Flipkart is always trying something new when it comes to the supply chain

Flipkart.com, the poster company of the India's booming e-commerce industry. Running by two IIT graduates Mr.Binny Bansal and Mr.Sachin Bansal, the duo hailed from an Indian city named Chandigarh. They have various similarities like both share same surname "Bansal", hailed from same town Chandigarh, read in same type of institution "IIT" , worked in a same company Amazon.com, and last of all they share same thoughts of running an e-commerce portal "Flipkart.com".

I have purchased lots of products form them starting from books to electronics. Generally I purchase more books than any other items because they have a great collection and at the same time offer a high discount which local retailers are not familiar with. I live in a remote part of India but also managed got my book with in three to four days thanks to its selection of couriers and focus on supply chain.

I have found that they use three courier to deliver me my orders. Listed below:

  • Bluedart a DHL Company.
  • Overnite express 
  • EMS Speed Post a Government company owned by India Post.
The last two are new addition because what ever the order I have placed before my last two orders, was delivered by Bluedart but last two order was posted to me by Overnite express and EMS Speed Post.    




They are constantly changing the courier company may be for three reasons :-

  1. May be they are not satishfied by the service provided by the previous courier company.
  2. They may be experimenting by deploying new courier company because supplying demand to the rural consumers is a challenge for them.
  3. The supply cost may be forcing them because they are yet to see green balance sheet.
What ever may be the reasons, they are trying to give an edge to its competitor and I am happy with their service. Thanks, to their customer first thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment